Today in Great Lakes History
Today in Great Lakes History - June 01
On 01 June 1914, the St. Joseph-Chicago Steamship Company
bought the EASTLAND (steel propeller passenger steamer, 265 foot, 1961 gross
tons, built in 1903 at Port Huron, Michigan) from the Eastland Navigation
Company for $150,000.
In 1943 the IRVING S OLDS collided with the 524 foot
steamer CHARLES O JENKINS in heavy fog 28 miles northeast of Cleveland on Lake
Erie and was holed eight feet above the water line. The OLDS was able to help
the badly damaged JENKINS back to Cleveland by lashing the two vessels
together. After a grueling seven hours the JENKINS was beached in the outer
harbor to prevent her from sinking further. The OLDS was repaired in time to
carry a then-record 17,817 gross tons of iron ore on June 13, 1943.
In 1952 the J L MAUTHE (Hull#298) was launched at Great
Lakes Engineering Works, River Rouge, Michigan for the Interlake Steamship
The WHITEFISH BAY, loaded with 950,000 bushels of spring
wheat, was cited as she carried the billionth metric ton of cargo through the
Eisenhower Lock in 1983.
JOSEPH S YOUNG (2) Launched June 1, 1907 as a.) WILPEN
(Hull#28) at Ecorse, Michigan by Great Lakes Engineering Works for the
Shenango Steamship Co., a subsidiary of Shenango Furnace Co., Cleveland, Ohio.
The H LEE WHITE departed Sturgeon Bay light on her maiden
voyage June 1, 1974 to load iron ore at Escanaba, Michigan for Indiana Harbor.
June 1, 1902 - While northbound for Manistque, Michigan,
the ANN ARBOR NO 1 went aground in a heavy fog about noon on South Manitou
Island, but was able to free herself and to proceed undamaged.
June 1, 1938 - The PERE MARQUETTE 21, under the command
of Captain Arthur Altschwager, was released from a sand bar in the outer
harbor (Manitowoc) at 1:06 p.m today after being aground for six hours. Her
sister ship, the PERE MARQUETTE 22, commanded by J.F. Johnson, freed the ferry
after taking a line and pulling the big ship back off the bar.
June, 1958 The ANN ARBOR NO 6 was taken out of service
for extensive refitting. she was renamed b.) ARTHUR K ATKINSON.
On 1 June 1887, LUCINDA VAN VALKENBURG (wooden schooner,
129 foot , 302 gross tons, built in 1862 at Tonawanda, New York) collided with
the iron steamer LEHIGH in fog and sank near Thunder Bay Island on Lake Huron.
The crew was safely taken aboard the LEHIGH and brought to Port Huron.
On 1 June 1892, the steel bulk freighter CHOCTAW was
launched at the Cleveland Shipbuilding Company (Hull #17) in Cleveland, Ohio
for the Lake Superior Iron Company. Her dimensions were 207' x 38' x 18' and
she had a triple expansion steam engine 17', 29", 47" x 36". She was built as
"monitor" type vessel based on whaleback design with all her cabins aft. She
lasted until sunk in a collision in 1915.
Today in Great Lakes History - June 02
On 02 June 1893, CORSICAN (wooden schooner, 112 foot, 210
gross tons, built in 1862 at Olcott, New York) was carrying coal from
Cleveland, Ohio to St. Ignace, Michigan on a foggy night on Lake Huron. She
collided with the iron steamer CORSICA and sank quickly off Thunder Bay
Island. All six onboard went down with her. The wounded CORSICA was beached
near Ossineke, Michigan and was later patched and proceeded to Ashtabula,
In 1973 the SYLVANIA, downbound light in fog, collided
with the FRANK PURNELL just north of the Detroit River Light at 0523 hours.
The SYLVANIA suffered minor bow damage and went to Toledo for repairs.
On 2 June 1855, J W BLAKE (wooden scow-schooner, 68 foot,
33 tons, built in 1853 at Dover, Ohio) was carrying lumber in a storm four
miles off Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin when she capsized. Her crew escaped in her
yawl, but it was a very close call for one who was asleep below decks when she
capsized. The vessel was later recovered and put back in service.
June 2, 1988 - The CITY OF MIDLAND 41 took on 17 truck
loads of lake trout, which were planted off Beaver Island.
On 2 June 1882, INDUSTRY (wooden schooner, 63 foot, 30
tons, built in 1847 at Michigan City, Indiana) capsized and sank just a half
mile from South Haven, Michigan. The three crewmen clung to the wreck for a
while as rescue attempts were made from shore, but they all perished. The
wreck later drifted to the beach about five miles south of town and went to
Today in Great Lakes History - June 03
On 03 June 1882, the schooner C BELL was launched at the
yard of Mason, Corning & Company in East Saginaw, Michigan. Her dimensions
were 185’ x 30’ x 11’ and she cost $20,000.
The JOHN B AIRD was christened in 1983 at Thunder Bay for
Algoma Central Marine, Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.
After successfully completing her sea trials on June 3,
1951, the CLIFFS VICTORY entered service a little under six months from the
time she was purchased from the U.S.M.C.
The PATERSON (1) entered service for N.M. Paterson & Sons
Ltd. on June 3, 1954 with 440,000 bushels of wheat from Port Arthur, Ontario.
On 3 June 1870, T F PARK (wooden side-wheeler, 170 foot,
450 tons, built in 1851 at Chatham, Ontario) caught fire and burned to the
waterline at the dock near the Detroit & Milwaukee Grain Elevator at Detroit,
Michigan. The hull was later removed after being struck by several vessels.
On 3 June 1875, the iron carferry HURON (238 foot, 1052
gross tons) was launched at Point Edward, Ontario for the Grand Trunk Railway.
Miss Jessie S. Hughes of Toronto christened the vessel with a bottle of wine.
The hull's iron plates were manufactured in Scotland and shipped to Point
Edward where they were assembled. Work began on 12 August 1874. Her engine and
boiler were built by Mr. Wilson at Dundas, Ontario. This vessel ran between
Windsor and Detroit for over a century.
Today in Great Lakes History - June 04
On 04 June 1881, the OGEMAW (wooden propeller freighter,
167 foot, 624 gross tons) was launched at Simon Langell’s yard in St. Clair,
Michigan for Mr. Wood & Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
In 1947 the 525-foot Canada Steamship Lines bulk
freighter EMPEROR stranded on Canoe Rocks on Lake Superior and sank with a
loss of 12 lives.
CLIFFS VICTORY sailed on her maiden voyage light from
South Chicago, Illinois in 1951
OTTERCLIFFE HALL (Hull#667) at Lauzon, Quebec by Davie
Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. had her keel laid 1968 for the Hall Corporation of
Canada. Renamed b.) ROYALTON in 1983, c.) OTTERCLIFFE HALL in 1985, d.) PETER
MISENER in 1988 and e.) CANADIAN TRADER in 1994.
The EDGAR B SPEER was christened June 4th 1980 at Lorain,
Ohio for the Connecticut Bank & Trust Co., Hartford, Connecticut, managed by
the Great Lakes Fleet of the United States Steel Corp., Duluth, Minnesota.
In 1988, the IRVING S OLDS departed Duluth under tow,
headed for scrapping.
June 4, 1940 - Oiler George Riemersma (age 50) died of a
heart attack while at work on the PERE MARQUETTE 21.
June 4, 1942 - John A. Clancey, 58, general manager of
the Grand Trunk Western Railway and president of the Grand Trunk Milwaukee
Carferry Co. died suddenly of a heart attack while at his desk in Detroit.
The Port Huron Times reported that "The new trim and tidy
tug, the P L JOHNSON, built for Capt. Sol Rummage, passed up last night with
her first tow. She is of medium size and wears the national colors on her
smokestack for which some of the boys call her a floating barber shop."
On 4 June 1859, GENERAL HOUSTON (2-mast wooden schooner,
83 foot, 123 tons, built in 1844 at French Creek, New York) was bound from
Port Huron for Buffalo with a load of lumber. During a terrific gale, she
missed the mouth of the Grand River near Fairport, Ohio and went on the pier
where she broke up. Fortunately no lives were lost. The lighthouse keeper on
the pier where she broke up later refused to light the lantern while the wreck
was in place for fear of drawing other vessels into it. The U. S. Government
quickly contracted to remove the hulk from the channel, but a month later, a
storm did the job for free, obliterating the wreck so completely that it was
reported to have just "disappeared."
June 4th, 2001 marked the 100th anniversary of the famous
race between the TASHMOO and the CITY OF ERIE, an exciting race that included
many thousands of dollars in wagers, great advance publicity, and the use of
many other boats to watch the action along the way. The drama was such that
carrier pigeons were released at various times to take the latest updates to
waiting newspaper reporters. The CITY OF ERIE won the race in a very close
match, and the story has been retold in several books about the Great Lakes.
Today in Great Lakes History - June 05
On 05 June 1888, the wreck of the tug FRANK MOFFAT was
removed from the St. Clair River at Sombra, Ontario by the Canadian
Government. The tug was wrecked when her boiler exploded in November 1885.
1972 the ROGER BLOUGH was christened at Lorain, Ohio by
American Ship Building Co. for U.S. Steel Corp.
Also in 1972 the PARKER EVANS was in collision with the
upbound Erie Sand steamer SIDNEY E SMITH JR. just below the Blue Water Bridge,
at Port Huron, Michigan. The SMITH sank in twenty minutes with no loss of
life. The EVANS, with bow damage, proceeded to Port Weller Dry Docks for
extensive repairs. As a result of this accident, on October 4, 1972 alternate
one-way traffic between the Black River Buoy and Buoys One and Two in Lake
Huron was agreed upon by the shipping companies. Also a call-in system was
initiated to monitor traffic between the Detroit River Light and Buoys Seven
and Eight in Lake Huron by the newly established Sarnia Traffic.
On June 5, 1979, the CARTIERCLIFFE HALL (later WINNIPEG
and now ALGONTARIO) caught fire on Lake Superior off the Keweenaw Peninsula
just before 4:00 a.m. Six crewmembers died in the fire, and the U.S. Steel
bulk freighter THOMAS W LAMONT was able to rescue the others from the
CARTIERCLIFFE HALL. The THOMAS W LAMONT was cited for “exemplary service” by
the U.S. Coast Guard for her role in the rescue of seventeen crew members from
the burning CARTIERCLIFFE HALL on Lake Superior.
June 5, 1947 The Pere Marquette Railway was acquired by
the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad.
LIGHTSHIP 103 (HURON) had her keel laid June 5, 1918 at
Morris Heights, New York by Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp. In 1971 the
lightship was acquired by the City of Port Huron for use as a museum.
On 5 June 1864, COL A B WILLIAMS (2 mast wooden schooner,
110 foot, 150 tons, built in 1856 at Big Sodus, New York) was carrying coal on
Lake Huron when she collided with the big ore-laden bark TWILIGHT. The
WILLIAMS sank in 85 feet of water, 3 miles below Port Sanilac. Her crew was
rescued by the TWILIGHT.
Shortly before midnight, Sunday, 5 June 1870, the WABASH
and EMPIRE STATE collided in Lake Huron about 10 miles above Fort Gratiot
Light. The WABASH sank and the EMPIRE STATE was damaged. The steamer JAY GOULD
took the passengers off both vessels.
Today in Great Lakes History - June 06
On 06 June 1917, ISABELLA J BOYCE (wooden propeller
sandsucker, 138 foot, 368 gross tons, built in 1889 at Manitowoc, Wisconsin as
a freighter) grounded on Middle Bass Island in Lake Erie and then was
destroyed by fire. No lives were lost.
1944 JOSEPH H THOMPSON participated in the D-Day invasion
The E B BARBER entered service on June 6, 1953 for Algoma
Central Railway Ltd.
In 1953, the ARMCO began her maiden voyage from Lorain,
Ohio for Columbia Transportation Div., bound for Superior, Wisconsin to load
On June 6, 1959, the ADAM E CORNELIUS (3) began her
maiden voyage for the American Steamship Co., from Manitowoc, Wisconsin. This
was the last Great Lakes vessel constructed with telescoping hatch covers.
Converted to a barge, renamed b.) CAPT EDMUND V SMITH in 1988, and c.) SEA
BARGE ONE in 1991 and d.) SARAH SPENCER in 1996.
POINTE NOIRE was in collision with Cleveland Tanker's
SATURN on June 6, 1977 near Fighting Island in the Detroit River.
On 6 June 1869, ASA COVELL (wooden propeller tug, 20
gross tons, built in 1852 at Buffalo, New York) was towing the brig IROQUOIS
up the Cuyahoga River at Cleveland when her boiler exploded and she sank. Her
captain was killed when the pilothouse was blown into the river.
On 6 June 1883, HERCULES (wooden schooner-barge, 139
foot, 195 tons, built in 1867 at Algonac, Michigan) was upbound in the south
bend of the St. Clair River near Algonac, Michigan when the CLARION (iron
propeller package freighter, 240 foot, 1711 gross tons, built in 1881 at
Wyandotte, Michigan) overtook her and collided with her in broad daylight.
HERCULES drifted to the bank, capsized and sank. No lives were lost.
Today in Great Lakes History - June 07
On 07 June 1862, MORNING STAR (wooden side-wheel steamer,
248 foot, 1265 gross tons) was launched by A. A. Turner at Trenton, Michigan.
She only lasted until 1868 when she sank in Lake Erie in a collision with the
1958 the EDMUND FITZGERALD (Hull#301) was launched at
River Rouge, Michigan by Great Lakes Engineering Works for the Northwestern
Mutual Life Insurance Co., Columbia Transportation Div., mgr.
In 1977, the WILLIAM A IRVIN ran into the side of the
Rock Cut after a power failure on board. The vessel received only slight
damage. (For a more detailed account, read Jody Aho's book "The Steamer
William A. Irvin: Queen of the Silver Stackers").
Also on June 7, 1977 the MESABI MINER departed the
shipyard on her maiden voyage to load ore at Duluth, Minnesota.
On June 7, 1991, the ALPENA (former LEON FRASER) began
her maiden voyage as a cement carrier, departing Superior, Wisconsin, for her
namesake port. Fraser Shipyards, who performed the conversion, took out a
full-page ad in the Superior Evening Telegram proclaiming "INLAND LAKES
MANAGEMENT, YOUR SHIP IS READY" and a picture of the vessel.
On 7 June 1859, COLUMBIA (2-mast wooden brig, 92 foot,
177 gross tons, built in 1842 at Sandusky, Ohio) broke up in a storm near
Sherwood Point, Green Bay (Death's Door). She was famous for bringing the
first load of copper ore from the Keweenaw Peninsula to through the Soo. She
also brought the first locomotive to Marquette.
The METEOR (wooden steam barge, 201 foot, 729 gross tons,
built in 1863 at Cleveland, Ohio) burned at Buckley's dock at the foot of 2nd
Street in Detroit, Michigan on 7 June 1873. The fire supposedly started in her
hold at 1:30 AM and was not discovered until it was too late. The ship burned
to the waterline and sank. Some docks and warehouses also burned in this
catastrophe. The wreck was raised in early September 1875 and towed to the
foot of Belle Isle where the machinery and hull were sold at the U.S.
Marshall's sale on 24 April 1876. Although originally thought to be the end of
this vessel, the hull was purchased by Stephen B. Grummond of Detroit for
$480. It was rebuilt as the schooner-barge NELSON BLOOM in 1882 and lasted
until abandoned in 1925.
Today in Great Lakes History - June 08
On 08 June 1897, RITA McDONALD (wooden propeller tug, 72
foot, 69 gross tons) was launched by J. Davidson (Hull #84) at West Bay City,
Michigan. She lasted until 1920 when she was abandoned in Chicago, Illinois.
1978 the LEWIS WILSON FOY was christened for the
Bethlehem Steel Co., Cleveland, Ohio. Renamed b.) OGLEBAY NORTON in 1991.
In 1938, the GOVERNOR MILLER, sister ship to the WILLIAM
A IRVIN, began her maiden voyage, leaving Lorain, Ohio. The GOVERNOR MILLER
was only the 2nd Great Lakes vessel to be powered by a steam turbine with a
direct drive to the propeller shaft via reduction gear.
1976 - The Superior Midwest Energy Terminal loaded its
first cargo of low-sulfur coal. The JOHN J BOLAND (3) took the honors as the
first vessel to load at this dock. Sold Canadian and renamed b.) SAGINAW in
1977 the HARRY L ALLEN was the first freighter to load at
Burlington Northern's Dock #5 in Superior, Wisconsin.
On 8 June 1847, CHESAPEAKE (wooden side-wheeler, 172
foot, 412 tons, built in 1838 at Maumee, Ohio) was fully laden and had 97
aboard when she rammed the schooner JOHN F PORTER on a dark night off
Conneaut, Ohio. As she started to sink, she was run to shore in an effort to
save her, but she sank a mile short of the beach. Lake Erie was fairly calm
and the crew and passengers tried to get to shore in boats and makeshift
rafts. Most made it and many were also picked up by the steamer HARRISON.
Estimates of the number of dead vary from 7 to 13.
The wooden side-wheel tug and upriver packet TRAFFIC (75
foot, 50 tons, built in 1853 at St. Clair, Michigan) sank near Sebewaing,
Michigan on 8 June 1868. She was recovered and repaired, but only lasted a
little longer than a year since she burned in Saginaw in October 1869.
Today in Great Lakes History - June 09
The Lubeck, Germany built, 305 foot Greek freighter
CASTALIA of 1953, struck the north tower pier of the Mackinac Bridge at 7:00
PM on 09 June 1968 in dense fog. The bridge was not damaged and the ship took
on water, but was able to proceed to Chicago without assistance.
LIGHTSHIP 103 was delivered to the 12th District
Headquarters at Milwaukee, Wisconsin on June 9, 1921 to begin her Great Lakes
June 9, 1983 ALGOWEST loaded a then-record 1,047,758
bushels of wheat at Thunder Bay.
ROGER BLOUGH began sea trials in 1972.
June 9, 1911 The ANN ARBOR NO 1 was raised by Smith
Wrecking Company of Muskegon after being considered a menace to navigation by
the Coast Guard (she had been sunk by the south breakwater at Frankfort,
Michigan after burning on March 8th). She was taken to Muskegon, and repaired
sufficiently to become a sand scow for the Love Construction Company. The cost
of raising her was $8,000.
On 9 June 1884, ANNAPEE (2-mast wooden scow-schooner, 71
foot, 118 gross tons, built in 1867 at Ahnapee (Wolf River), Wisconsin) was
bound from Torch Lake, Michigan for Milwaukee with a load of railroad ties and
cordwood when she stranded in fog on North Point in Lake Michigan, 2 1/2 miles
from Sheboygan, Wisconsin. Later a strong wind blew her into the rocks and she
broke up. No lives were lost and part of her cargo was saved.
On 9 June 1882, the LIZZIE A LAW (wooden schooner, 196
foot, 747 gross tons, built in 1875 at Port Huron, Michigan) collided with the
R B HAYES (wooden schooner, 147 foot, 668 gross tons, built in 1877 at
Gibraltar, Michigan) near the foot of Lake Huron. Although the LAW suffered
severe damage, she completed her trip to Buffalo and was repaired there. The
LAW lasted until 1908 when she was lost in a storm.
Data from: Jody L. Aho, Max Hanley, Andy Hering, Joe
Barr, Dave Swayze, Father Dowling Collection, Ahoy & Farewell II and the Great
Lakes Ships We Remember series
Today in Great Lakes History - June 10
On 10 June 1891, the CHARLES W WETMORE (steel propeller
whaleback freighter, 265 foot, 1399 gross tons) left the shipyard at West
Superior, Wisconsin on her maiden voyage, bound for Liverpool, England with a
cargo of grain. During her trip to the Atlantic Ocean, she shot the St.
Lawrence River rapids. In Liverpool, she loaded machinery for Puget Sound.
She only lasted until September 1892, when she stranded one mile north of Coos
Bay, Oregon in fog. Bad weather stopped salvage attempts and the vessel was
The LEWIS WILSON FOY, loaded her first cargo June 10,
1978 at Burlington Northern #5, Superior, Wisconsin with 57,952 tons of
Hibbing taconite pellets for Burns Harbor, Indiana. In 1991. Renamed b.)
OGLEBAY NORTON in 1991.
In 1892 the keel for the ANN ARBOR NO 1 (Hull#55) was
laid at Toledo, Ohio by Craig Shipbuilding Co..
The ANN ARBOR NO 4 was sold to the Michigan State Ferries
in 1937 and renamed CITY OF CHEBOYGAN.
On 10 June 1877, while lying at her dock at Detroit, the
wooden side-wheeler R N RICE burned. The damage was estimated at $30,000.
After this fire, she was rebuilt as a barge.
The propeller MONTGOMERY burned in the early morning
hours of 10 June 1878. The fire started while she was laying at the dock in
Point Edward, Ontario. The carferry INTERNATIONAL towed her out into the St.
Clair River and cast her off to drift. Fortunately there were no injuries. She
finally was beached opposite Batchelor's Mill on the Canadian side by the tugs
CRUSADER and J H MARTIN. At 10:00 AM, she was still burning. The MONTGOMERY
was a steam barge of 1,104 tons, built in 1856 and owned by Capt. John
Pridgeon. She was fully loaded with 29,000 bushels of corn, 320 barrels of
flour, 540 barrels of corn meal, 200 bags of timothy seed and 111 bales of
broom corn, besides other freight. The local papers claimed that the spectacle
presented by the burning vessel as she drifted down the river was "grand and
beautiful". The light was so brilliant that the entire city of Port Huron was
illuminated and many people came out to watch. The following day, the wreck
was towed to the American side of the river just below Avery's Mill. Whatever
was left of her cargo was taken off and sold. Her engines and boiler were so
badly warped and twisted from the intense heat that they were worthless except
U.S. Army Corps of Engineer dredge MARKHAM (Hull#904) was
launched in 1959 at Avondale, Louisiana by Avondale Marine Ways Inc.
Today in Great Lakes History - June 11
On 11 June 1903, HORACE H BADGER (wooden 3-mast schooner,
129 foot, 263 gross tons, built in 1867 at Conneaut, Ohio as a 2-mast
schooner, formerly KATE GILLETT) was carrying coal in a storm on Lake Erie.
She was driven onto the breakwater at Cleveland, Ohio and broke up in the
storm waves. The crew of seven was rescued by the Life Saving Service. This
vessel had been wrecked twice before; once at Cross Village, Michigan in 1895
and again near Alpena, Michigan in 1896.
ATLANTIC SUPERIOR (Hull#222) was float launched at
Thunder Bay, Ontario by Port Arthur Ship Building Co. Ltd.. in 1982 for
Federal Commerce & Navigation Ltd., Montreal, Quebec (Canada Steamship Lines
Ltd., mgr.), built for the Caribbean trade.
MESABI MINER was christened at Duluth, Minnesota in 1977,
the MESABI MINER became the fourth thousand-foot bulk carrier on the Great
Lakes and Interlake Steamship Co.’s second.
CARL D BRADLEY (1) cleared Lorain in her gray and white
livery in 1917, on her maiden voyage light bound for Calcite, Michigan to load
limestone. She was the first Great Lakes commercial ship equipped with both
Morse code telegraphy as well as ship-to--shore radio in 1922, which was
standard on only 20 vessels by 1924. Renamed b.) JOHN G MUNSON -1927, c.)
IRVIN L CLYMER - 1951.
On June 11, 1936 the EDWARD J BERWIND collided with the
AYCLIFFE HALL 16 miles West of Long Point on Lake Erie. The Hall Corp. steamer
went to the bottom and was not salvaged.
June 11, 1981 - The BADGER steamed out of Ludington en
route to Milwaukee under an MDOT subsidy that was approved earlier in March.
The propeller E B HALE was launched at Cleveland at the
yard of Quayle & Sons on 11 June 1874. Her length was 217 foot keel, 227 foot
overall. She was owned by Capt. Bradley, Mr. Thomas Quayle and Mr. Loomis and
she cost $100,000.
The wooden rabbit J S RUBY was launched at Fair Haven,
Michigan on 11 June 1881. Her dimensions were 106'6" x 21' x 7'. She was towed
to Port Huron for the installation of her boiler and engine that were built by
the Phoenix Iron Works. She lasted until burned to a total loss off Stag
Island in the St. Clair River on November 9, 1891.
Today in Great Lakes History - June 12
On 12 June 1900, the UNIQUE (wooden propeller, 163 foot,
381 gross tons, built in 1894 at Marine City, Michigan) was sold at public
auction at St. Clair, Michigan to satisfy a mortgage. W. J. Laidlaw of
Ogdensburg, New York purchased her for $20,000 for the Rapid Transit Co. to
run between Ogdensburg and Kingston, Ontario. In 1904, her upper cabins were
removed and she was rebuilt as a yacht. She lasted until 1915 when she burned
in New York City harbor.
"STUBBY", The bow and stern sections of the STEWART J
CORT welded together, passed Port Colborne, Ontario on June 12, 1970 bound for
Erie, Pennsylvania under her own power. STUBBY's bow and stern sections were
later separated at Erie Marine, Inc., a Div. of Litton, and joined to the 816
foot hull mid-body.
The NANTICOKE departed Collingwood in 1980 beginning her
maiden voyage for Canada Steamship Lines Ltd..
In 1959 the BENSON FORD (1) ran aground in the
Amherstburg Channel on her upbound trip with coal for the Rouge Plant. After
five days of lightering and with tug assistance, she was freed. Damage
amounted to 41 bottom plates which took 30 days to repair.
On 12 June 1832, the wooden schooner GUERRIER was sailing
from Oswego, New York for Detroit when she capsized in a squall off Bar Point
on Lake Erie. Captain Pember and the crew and most of the passengers made it
to the Canadian shore, but one family was trapped in the cabin. The husband
was able to keep his head above water in the upside down cabin, but through
the night, one by one, his four children and then his wife slipped from his
grasp and perished. The following day, Capt. Stanard took his steamer NIAGARA
to the wreck and rescued the man.
On 12 June 1900, the steel tow barge BRYN MAWR (Hull#41)
was launched at South Chicago, Illinois by the Chicago Ship Building Co. for
the Pittsburgh Steamship Company.
The wooden propeller freighter MILWAUKEE (264 foot, 1770
gross tons) was launched at Quayle & Sons yard in Cleveland, Ohio on 12 June
1879 for the Western Transportation Company of Buffalo, New York. She had
supporting arches above decks. In 1902, she was renamed YONKERS and rebuilt as
a barge in 1911. She lasted until 1917-1918 when she stranded, then burned.
Today in Great Lakes History - June 13
On 13 June 1902, METROPOLIS (wooden side-wheel steamer,
168 foot, 425 tons, built in 1868 at Detroit, Michigan) caught fire and burned
to a total loss at her dock in Toledo, Ohio. She was only used occasionally
for excursions and spent most of her time tied up to the dock.
On June 13, 1983, the JOHN B AIRD began its maiden voyage
for Algoma Central Railway, a load of coal from Thunder Bay to Nanticoke,
The IRVING S OLDS carried a then-record 17,817 gross tons
of iron ore on June 13, 1943 from Lake Superior and transported a total of
736,800 short tons of various bulk cargoes the next year.
On the morning of June 13, 1905 running downbound on Lake
Superior, the heavily laden SYLVANIA encountered heavy fog as she approached
the Soo. Confused whistle signals resulted in the SYLVANIA glancing off the
Pittsburgh Steamship Co. steamer SIR HENRY BESSEMER which sustained a 175 foot
port side gash from the SYLVANIA's anchor. The BESSEMER required $40,000 in
repairs and the SYLVANIA's damage totaled $10,000 which included a new anchor
and shell plating which was completed at the Craig Shipbuilding Co., Toledo,
June 13, 1930 - Shortly after leaving Menominee, Mchigan,
fireman Walter O'Leary of the ANN ARBOR NO 7 became ill. The carferry
proceeded at full speed to the nearest doctor at Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin,
where surgery was performed to remove gall stones.
June 13, 1974 - The CITY OF GREEN BAY (formerly a.)
WABASH) was sold to Marine Salvage Company to be scrapped.
On 13 June 1903, CHARLES H DAVIS (wooden propeller bulk
freighter, 145 foot, 391 gross tons, built in 1881 at Saginaw, Michigan) was
carrying limestone on Lake Erie off Cleveland when she developed a leak which
quickly got worse and admitted water faster than her pumps capacity. She sank
near the Cleveland breakwater. She was an unusual vessel, reportedly built of
pine and pointed at both ends with her planking set diagonally.
Data from: Jody Aho, Max Hanley, Joe Barr, David Swayze,
Father Dowling Collection, Ahoy & FarewellII and the Great Lakes Ships We
This is a small sample, the books includes many other
vessels with a much more detailed history