The tug W. J. Ivan Purvis was purchased by John W. Purvis in 1972 but not renamed until 1976. The ship was repowered that year with the 1,200 horsepower General Motors diesel engine
Model 12-567C that had previously served the second tanker named Bay Transport.
This tug was Hull 63 from the Marine Industries Ltd. shipyard at Sorel, Quebec, and it was completed in 1938 as Magpie (C171701). The 100 foot long by 26 foot wide by 10 foot deep
vessel originally had a five-cylinder Sulzer Model RKWN 25 diesel engine of 250 mm by 330 mm that produced 330 horsepower.
Magpie operated in the log rafting business on Lake Superior and as the supply and dispatch vessel for the Abitibi Power and Paper Company. It had a single cargo hold forward of
the pilothouse and one hatch.
The vessel was idle at Sault Ste. Marie, ON., when sold to Hindman Transportation and, after reconditioning, it departed on June 26, 1966. The ship was renamed Dana T. Bowen,
after the noted Great Lakes author, the next year and used as a harbor tug around Georgian Bay from its base in Owen Sound. Dana T. Bowen was sold to Lee & McMillan of Port Lambton
in 1972 and resold to Purvis later in the year. It was used to tow the ferry St. Joseph Islander to Kingston in June 1973, but usually worked on the upper Great Lakes. Renamed W. J.
Ivan Purvis in 1976, it remains an active member of the fleet.
Adapted with permission from "The Ships of the Purvis Marine Fleet" by Buck Longhurst, Skip Gillham.