Click on image for a full screen view
 

 Leaving the Canadian lock at the Soo, 1978.                       Roger LeLievre 

Great Lakes Fleet Page Vessel Feature -- Condarrell (D.C. Everest)

By George Wharton

The small crane ship D.C. Everest was built in 1953 by Kingston Shipyards Div., Canadian Shipbuilding & Engineering Ltd., Kingston, ON as their hull # 45.  The vessel was launched October 15, 1952 and entered service for Marathon Corporation of Canada Ltd., Toronto, ON in March of 1953.  The D.C. Everest was named in honor of Mr. David Clark Everest who was the Chairman of the Board of Marathon from 1950 until his retirement in 1952.

The D.C. Everest was powered by a single Fairbanks Morse 1,200 b.h.p. 6 cylinder diesel engine capable of moving the small ship to speeds up to 15 m.p.h.  Four hatches serviced two holds where the vessel was capable of carrying 2,860 tons (2,906 tonnes) at a mid-summer draft of 16' 09" (5.105m) at the time of building.  The crane ship was fitted with two revolving fixed position cranes with 45' (13.716m) booms designed specifically for the transportation and handling of pulpwood. 

This specialty carrier's regular route was from Marathon, ON to Green Bay, WI carrying a variety of wood products.  The only noted incident for the D.C. Everest during her tenure with Marathon was a grounding in the St. Marys River in May of 1965 causing some bottom damage.  Fog was the probable cause as there had been heavy fog in the area for 4 days.  Ownership of vessel was transferred to the American Can Co. of Canada Ltd., Marathon, ON in 1969 following the acquisition of Marathon Corp. by American Can.  New destinations followed including a rare trip to Manitowoc, WI in August of 1975 with grain from Thunder Bay, ON, an experimental load of pulpwood to Cornwall, ON in 1978, and loads of grain to Goderich, ON in 1978, 1979, and 1980.  Other loads included grain from Thunder Bay to Midland, ON and Milwaukee, WI; salt from Windsor, ON to Marathon and stone from Calcite, MI to Marathon.

The vessel was laid up in Toronto later in 1980 with a storage load of grain and was acquired by Johnstone Shipping Ltd. of Toronto, ON in 1981 being renamed Condarrell at that time. The Condarrell was fitted with a single traveling revolving crane with an 80 foot (24.384m) boom for use in the handling of steel cargoes. On May 13, 1981; the Condarrell cleared Toronto on her maiden voyage for her new owners.  Shortly after, on July 7, 1981 while upbound in the Welland Canal, the vessel lost power while entering Lock 2 and hit the lock wall bending the bow.  The crane ship returned to Toronto for repairs.  The Condarrell continued operating until being laid up in Toronto on November 17, 1981.  During its short tenure with Johnstone Shipping, the Condarrell made one trip from Windsor, ON to Newfoundland with a load of salt.  Other cargoes of grain, salt and stone were carried.  The vessel was sold to Marine Salvage in 1982 and did not operate.

Marine Salvage sold the Condarrell to McKeil Marine Ltd., Hamilton, ON in November of 1987. The crane ship was towed to Hamilton where it was refitted for use as a salvage and lightering vessel in 1988. The Condarrell was renamed D.C. Everest in 1989. The vessel has since been moved to Montreal, QC and is currently owned by Remorqueurs & Barges Montreal Ltee, Montreal, QC (subsidiary of McKeil Work Boats Ltd., Hamilton, ON). In 2002, the small vessel's name was changed back to Condarrell now being classified by her owners as a covered hopper barge.  Her engine is still intact although in disrepair and has not been used in many years.  Even as a barge, the Condarrell has seen only limited use in the recent past.

On June 25, 2006, after being acquired by International Marine Salvage of Port Colborne, ON; the Condarrell left Montreal. QC destined for Port Colborne and scrapping.  All names had been removed from her hull.  McKeil's tug Evans McKeil was the lead tug and Eastern Canada Towing's tug Point Vigour was on the stern.  Before entering the Welland Canal, the Point Vigour departed for Hamilton, her place being taken by the McKeil tug Progress to assist the tow through the Canal to Port Colborne.  The Condarrell better known as the D.C. Everest arrived at her final destination port late on June 28, 2006.

 

Overall Dimensions (metric)
Length  259' 00" (78.943m)
Beam  43' 06" (13.26m)
Depth  21' 00" (6.40m)
Capacity  3,017 tons (3,065.47 tonnes)
Power (diesel)  1,200 b.h.p.
 


Duluth 1960. Wes Harkins (MHSD)

Downbound St. Marys River, 1973.  Jim Hoffman

In Montreal, 2003. Kent Malo

Close up 2002. Kent Malo

Crane on deck. Kent Malo

Stern view. Kent Malo

Wheelhouse. (courtesy Kent Malo)
- copyright Parks Canada, Y. Desloges 2004.

Another view (courtesy Kent Malo)
- copyright Parks Canada, Y. Desloges 2004

Engine room. (courtesy Kent Malo)
- copyright Parks Canada, Y. Desloges 2004

Accommodations. (courtesy Kent Malo)
- copyright Parks Canada, Y. Desloges 2004

Galley. (courtesy Kent Malo)
- copyright Parks Canada, Y. Desloges 2004

Passing Massena, NY, June 26, 2006.
Leo Ames

Between Morrisburg, ON and the Iroquois Lock, June 26, 2006. Ron Walsh

Another view. Ron Walsh


Pasiing under Welland Canal's Bridge 3,
June 28, 2006. Michel Gosselin


Stern view. Michel Gosselin

Approaching Lock 3. Michel Gosselin

Return to Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping     Great Lakes Fleet Photo Gallery

Copyright Boatnerd.com. All Rights Reserved.
0706 GW