Great Lakes Fleet Page Vessel Feature - St. Marys Conquest

Detroit River, Apr. 2005.

Mike Nicholls

By Rod Burdick


The barge Conquest was originally the classic steam-powered tanker, Amoco Indiana. She was built in 1937 at Manitowoc and sailed for Amoco Oil Company until 1982.

Medusa Cement purchased the Amoco Indiana in 1986 and had her converted to a self-unloading, cement-carrying barge at Sturgeon Bay from 1986 to 1987. Her pilothouse, aft-end cabins, and stack were removed. A bow-mounted, air-flow boom conveyor was installed along with a stern notch for a tug. Renamed Medusa Conquest, she entered service in July of 1987 and has been in service since.

She would sailed as the Medusa Conquest until 1998 when Medusa Cement was bought by another cement company, South Down, Inc. The vessel had her name changed to Southdown Conquest. The company was sold again to CEMEX Cement. The name of the barge once again was changed to Cemex Conquest.

Her current name was adopted when she was purchased by St. Marys Cement. Her push tug was changed from the Susan W. Hannah (Bradshaw McKee) to the Prentiss Brown.

She services cement silos at Detroit, Cleveland, Toledo, Milwaukee, Chicago, and Manitowoc and a Canadian silo in Owen Sound from the Charlevoix cement plant.



Overall dimensions
Length 437'6"
Beam 55'
Depth 28'
Cement capacity (tons) 8,500
Airflow boom conveyor 48'


Mike Nicholls

Jim Hoffman

Andy Laborde

Andy Laborde

Mike Nicholls

Andy Laborde

Andy Laborde

Dick Lund

Stern view with Susan W. Hannah in the notch, Apr. 2005.  Mike Nicholls

Susan W. Hannah, Apr. 2005.  Mike Nicholls.

Stern view.

Mike Nicholls

Mike Nicholls

Mike Nicholls


Amoco Indiana October 22, 1982 Upbound Welland Canal Lock 8 Tom Salvner

Mike Nicholls

Mike Nicholls

Jim Hoffman

Mike Nicholls
 

Welland Canal.  Jim Hoffman

Jim Hoffman
 
 
 

Return to Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping     Great Lakes Fleet Photo Gallery

Copyright Boatnerd.com. All Rights Reserved.