Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping

Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping Online
Remembering the past
Historical Perspective
Featured Lake Boat:


Fort Garry 1955 - 1955
Fort Henry 1955 - 1984

Help build this pictorial history
See bottom of page for instructions.


Built by Collingwood Shipyards Ltd. at Collingwood, Ont. as hull #150. Launched on March 10, 1955 as the Lake and St. Lawrence River Package Freighter FORT HENRY for Canada Steamships Lines of Montreal, Que. Originally to be named FORT GARRY. Dimensions: 461’ 6" LOA x 56’ beam x 32’ depth; 5,729 GRT 4,159 NRT. Powered by a 4,500 shp double reduction geared steam turbine built by John Ingalis Co. Ltd. of Toronto, Ont. and 2 Foster-Wheeler oil-fired water tube boilers. The vessel was originally planned to be named FORT GARRY and had that name painted on her hull but prior to launch the name was changed to FORT HENRY. The ship entered service in May of 1955. She was the first of Canada Steamship Lines "Fort Class" package freighters and the only one to have her pilot house forward. Built for speed, the FORT HENRY could reach speeds of 18 mph. In her early years the vessel often carried freight upbound loaded through the side doors and grain downbound loaded through her deck hatches.

On December 4, 1956, FORT HENRY struck bottom near the Canoe Rocks, Lake Superior and was badly damaged. It reached Fort William safely, was unloaded, and spent the winter on the Port Arthur Dry Docks for repairs. It returned to service April 12, 1957.In 1960 her tonnage was changed to 5,729 GRT and 3,707 NRT. Ownership changed in 1970 to Steamship Forwarding Ltd. of Montreal, Que. while still under management of Canada Steamship Lines.

At the end of the 1979 shipping season the FORT HENRY was laid up in Kingston, Ont. until she was sold for scrap to United Metals Ltd. of Hamilton, Ont. in 1984. (All Canada Steamship Lines package freight service ended before the start of the 1982 shipping season.) The FORT HENRY was towed by tugs GLENEVIS and GLENSIDE to Hamilton, Ont. arriving on June 5, 1984. Scrapping began in 1988. Her pilot house was saved and placed on display at Lock 3 Park on the Welland Canal. After repeated attacks by vandals the pilot house display was dismantled in July, 2002.

 

Fort Garry 1955 - 1955
(Canada Steamship Lines Ltd.)

Originally to be named Fort Garry and shown prior to launch, 1955. New
(Photo by Don Boone, Skip Gillham collection)

     
Fort Henry 1955 - 1984
(Canada Steamship Lines Ltd.)

These four Fort Henry Launch Day pictures below were my grandfather’s, E.G. Smith, the first Chief Engineer on the Fort Henry. He brought out most of the CSL ships new. - Laurence Pyke

Fort Henry on launch day just prior to launch at Collingwood Shipyards, Ltd., Collingwood, Ont. March 10, 1955.
(Photo by E. G. Smith from the Laurence Pyke collection)

Launch day at Collingwood Shipyards, Ltd., Collingwood, Ont. March 10, 1955.
(Photo by E. G. Smith from the Laurence Pyke collection)

Just after launching at Collingwood Shipyards, Ltd., Collingwood, Ont. March 10, 1955.
(Photo by E. G. Smith from the Laurence Pyke collection)

Another view just after launching at Collingwood Shipyards, Ltd., Collingwood, Ont. March 10, 1955.
(Photo by E. G. Smith from the Laurence Pyke collection)

Fort Henry's maiden trip into Point Edward, Ont. June 1 1955.
(From the Terry McCullough collection)

Underway with a load of automobiles.
(From the postcard collection of Don Geske)

On the Welland Canal, 1961.
(Photo by Edward J. Morris courtesy of MHSD)

Fort Henry in the Welland Canal. 1960s.
(From the Terry McCullough collection)

Downbound at Mission Point, Sault Ste Marie. Early 1960's.
(Photo by Tom Manse)

Another view downbound at Mission Point. Early 1960's.
(Photo by Tom Manse)

Downbound in Whitefish Bay in the Fall of 1964.
(Photo taken from the Keewatin by John G. Mackay)

Downbound at Port Huron 1960's.
(Photo by Paul Michaels)

In the Welland Canal.
(Photo courtesy of JMT from Boatnerd Archives)

Location unknown, August 1967.
(From the Marc Vander Meulen collection)

Entering Lock 6, June 28, 1969. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

Downbound St. Marys River, July 1969.
(Photo by Roger LeLievre)

Stern view downbound St. Marys River, July 1969.
(Photo by Roger LeLievre)

At Thunder Bay, Ont.(?) December 12, 1970.
(From the Marc Vander Meulen collection)

Sailing in ice, Spring 1972.
(Photo by Graham Grattan)

Downbound in the St. Marys River near Detour, Michigan 1971.
(Photo by Graham Grattan)

Being towed clear of the drydock at Port Arthur Ship Building in Thunder Bay, Ont. Other ships in the picture include the tug Peninsula, D. C. Everest, Lawrendoc and Hochelaga. December 1971.
(Photo by Graham Grattan)

Being towed to a lay-by berth at Port Arthur Ship Building, Thunder Bay, Ont. December 1971.
(Photo by Graham Grattan)

Photo from the Agawa Canyon on Lake Superior 1972.
(Photo by Graham Grattan)

Downbound opposite Sarnia, Ont. 1970s.
(Photo by Terry McCullough)

Downbound on Lake Huron. 1970s.
(From the Terry McCullough collection)

In 1975.
(From the G. Kingsford Collection - Boatnerd Archives)

In the Welland Canal.
(From the Marc Vander Meulen collection)

In the St. Marys River July 1976.
(Photo by Roger LeLievre)

Tying up below Lock 1, October 16, 1976. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

Arriving at the Toledo Warehouse Terminal Dock where she will unload newsprint for the local newspaper, the Toledo Blade.
(Photo by Jim Hoffman)

In the St. Marys River June 1978.
(Photo by Roger LeLievre)

Laid up in Kingston, September 29, 1978. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

Looking down the deck at the scrapyard in Hamilton. The stern of the Pic River has been cut away with the Fort York waiting her turn, June 15, 1984. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

Forward part of the pilothouse, June 15, 1984. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

Wheelman's stand, June 15, 1984. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

Stairs coming up to the pilothouse, June 15, 1984. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

Captain's room, June 15, 1984. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

Captain's desk, June 15, 1984. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

Guest lounge, June 15, 1984. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

Back of the pilothouse from the deck, June 15, 1984. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

View of the stack, June 15, 1984. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

Looking forward down the deck, June 15, 1984. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

Chief's room, June 15, 1984. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

A crewman's room, June 15, 1984. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

Officer's dining room, June 15, 1984. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

Galley, June 15, 1984. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

Windlass, June 15, 1984. New
(Photo by Skip Gillham)

At the scrap dock in Hamilton, 1986. New
(Photo by Norm Wood, Skip Gillham collection)

Fort Henry Pilot House 1988 - 2002
Lock 3 Park on the Welland Canal

Tug Stormont and Paul E. #1 tow the wheelhouse up the Welland Canal to be used as a museum at Lock 3, July 1988.
(Photo by Jim Charlton photo / Know Your Ships)

Ship's wheel, July 1988. New
(Photo by Norm Wood, Skip Gillham collection)

Wheelhouse and bow section display at lock 3, 1990.
(Photo by John G. Mackay)

View inside, 1991.
(Photo by John G. Mackay)

Looking over bow, 1991.
(Photo by John G. Mackay)

Museum sign, October 1991. New
(Photo by Norm Wood, Skip Gillham collection)

Fort Henry Pilot House Fall 1998.
(Photo by Roger LeLievre)

Inside of Fort Henry pilot house after being trashed by vandals. July 2000.
(Photo by Roger LeLievre)

After repeated attacks by vandals it was decided to scrap the pilot house display. July 18, 2002.
(Photo by Alex Howard)

Starboard side. July 18, 2002.
(Photo by Alex Howard)

Starboard side aft. July 18, 2002.
(Photo by Alex Howard)

July 18, 2002.
(Photo by Alex Howard)

Scrap pile. July 18, 2002.
(Photo by Alex Howard)

Scrapping progresses July 26, 2002.
(Photo by Alex Howard)

July 26, 2002.
(Photo by Alex Howard)

July 26, 2002.
(Photo by Alex Howard)

July 26, 2002.
(Photo by Alex Howard)

Fort Henry trip summaries.
(Compiled by Skip Gillham)

Fort Henry trip summaries.
(Compiled by Skip Gillham)

 

 

Masters and Chief Engineers of the Fort Henry
(Courtesy of Russ Plumb)
Masters Chief Engineers
R. D. Anderson 1955 - 60
J. R. G. Taupin 1961 - 65
J. J. Lacroix 1966 - 67
F. G. Gagne 1968 - 72
Unknown 1973
J. E. Robillard 1974
Elko Merck 1975
W. Coyea 1976
Elko Merck 1977
M. McCutcheon 1977
W. Reckin 1978 - 79
Unknown 1950 - 59
L. E. McCutcheon 1960 - 62
R. A. Brooks 1963 - 64
T. A. Mordecai 1965 - 70
J. Cordes 1971 - 72
Unknown 1973 - 74
P. May 1975
D. Buchanan 1976
K. Drennan 1977
J. J. Wood 1978 - 79

 


Return to Historical Perspectives Home

Help build this pictorial history page.
If you have images to contribute, please e-mail them to historic@boatnerd.net, subject: "Historical Perspectives". If possible, please include a date (approximate is acceptable) and location.
Original scans only please. Copyrighted images from other websites or sources not accepted.
Please note: Contributions to previously featured lake boats are always welcome.

For guide lines on submitting images click here.
Last updated: April 19, 2013.

Return to Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping

Copyright Boatnerd.com 2013 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.